Masala Cheeyam is one of the most popular easy to make evening Snack of Chettinad. This is made using rice and urad dal which is ground in the form of batter. Masala cheeyam will be loved by people of all ages. This outer part of the cheeyam is crispy and firm; the inner part is fluffy and soft. This is a healthy tea time snack and it consumes only little oil. Try this in your kitchen and enjoy with your family.Raw Rice - 1 cup
Ingredients for making Masala Cheeyam
Urad Dal - 1/2 cup
Sago - 1 tbsp.
Salt as required
Ginger - few pieces finely chopped
Small Onions - 1
Green Chilies - 5
Coconut grated - 1/4 cup
Oil as required
Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp.
Method for making Masala Cheeyam1. Wash and Soak the rice and dal with Sago together for 3 hours. Grind it to a smooth and fluffy batter using little water.
2. Heat oil in a kadai, splutter the mustard seeds. Now add finely chopped onion, green chillies and saute well till the onion becomes transparrent.
3. Next add the grated coconut, ginger and required salt saute for another 2 minutes.
4. Add the above mixture to the cheeyam batter and mix well.
5. Heat oil in a kadai and drop small ball shaped batter in the oil and fry till they become golden brown in color.
6. Serve hot with any chutneys of your choice.